Homework 7: Finding things and Archiving
Due Wednesday, March 6, at 10:30 AM
As usual, place the commands you used to solve each of the 5 problems into a file called homework7
Turn in your homework by creating a file named "homework7" with no extension in your home directory, with permissions set so that only you can view the file. This assignment is worth 35 points, 5 from correct naming, 5 from correct permissions, and 5 from each of the problems above.
- Change directory to /etc on isoptera, and find how many files end in ".conf". These are config files for the system.
- Use find to list the files in /etc that are larger than 50 kb.
- Some permission denied messages will appear in the output for the command above. Revise the command to redirect these to /dev/null
- Use wget to download arch.tar.gz from the class examples area, then unpack the archive. The complete address is http://isoptera.lcsc.edu/~seth/cs228/examples.
- The archive contains a complete copy of the class website, but there is a secret hidden in it. Find the secret. It is not obvious from the filename which file contains the secret, and so I recommend using grep.