CS435 Final Review
A page of notes is allowed, but the test is closed book and closed computer.
Be prepared for questions on the following:
- Physical Layer (Cables, radio waves, etc)
- Data Link Layer, including Media Access Control sublayer (Ethernet, 802.11, etc)
- Network Layer (Internet Layer)
- Transport Layer
- Application Layer (servers, clients, network programming in general)
- Multiple choice. There are 8 of these, on general stuff, worth three points each (24 points total)
- Short Answer on general network topics. 36 points, in 5 and 6 point short answer. Remember what we talked about in lecture for these.
- Programming Questions. 40 points total, requires coding. You'll have to implement a multithreaded server and a client.
Notes about Specific Questions
Client/Server Programming: There is a question that presents you with a simple protocol for client/server communication, and requires you to implement the server. You can use any programming language you like. The protocol is designed to not require a lot of code to parse, but you'll have to be ready for some network programming. The protocol is binary, like LURK. You have to write both the client and the server. Advice on this: Think simple. It's not a very complicated task. I see a lot of very complicated answers on this type of question, and they're hard to get right under test conditions.