CS435 Midterm Review
A page of notes is allowed, but the test is closed book and closed computer.
Be prepared for detailed questions on the following:
- Physical Layer (Cables, radio waves, etc)
- Data Link Layer, including Media Access Control sublayer parts that we actually talk about (Ethernet, 802.11, etc)
- Application Layer (servers, clients, network programming in general, client project)
- Multiple choice. There are 8 of these, on general stuff, worth three points each (24 points total)
- Short Answer on general network topics. About 30 points total.
- Programming Questions. 40 points total, requires coding.
- A hamming code problem.
Notes about Specific Questions
Hamming Codes: There is a question where you are given an 11-bit sequence, containing 4 parity bits and 7 message bits. The 11-bit sequence will have a 1-bit error. You will have to correct the error and give the transmitted number. This will be very similar to lab 5.
Client/Server Programming: There is a question that presents you with a simple protocol for client/server communication, and requires you to implement the client and server. It's worth quite a few points, and the client and server are in separate questions. You can use any programming language you like. The protocol is designed to not require a lot of code to parse, but you'll have to be ready for some network programming. The protocol might be either text or binary.